Shrine Empire- Art Scribes Award is meant to promote young contemporary art writers in/ from India through a well organized writing competition, which would later be scrutinized by a panel of acclaimed art critics, curators and artists.
This program is a part of Shrine Empire Gallery’s efforts to build up links between intelligent art practice and informed art writing. Also, with this project, the gallery aims at supporting a set of new art professionals by providing them with the opportunities to train themselves in art writing and testing their abilities in the various facets of curatorial practice
Five top entries from the competition would feature in the website of the Shrine Empire Gallery.
The winning writer gets a chance to attend the International Residency program that will be held at Red Gate Residency, Beijing for a period of 1 month. The leading art publication TAKE on Art are the media partners for the Award and the winner will be announced in the magazine. Impressions of the residency will be published in a subsequent issue.
RED GATE RESIDENCY
Red Gate Residency is an international artist residency program, providing artists, Curators, writers, and academics with the opportunity to live and create work in China. As a member of RES ARTIS, the International Association of Residential Arts Centers, they are committed to the promotion of multicultural art dialogue within an immersion setting. Red Gate assists all participants to connect with the art scene and meet local Chinese artists.
Shrine Empire will fund the airfare, residency program, and provide a stipend for the writer’s daily needs.
1) Indian citizens under the age of 40 as on 31st March 2012 are eligible for consideration.
2) Work experience of 2 years in their respective fields.
3) The writer can only apply if he/she can attend a 30-day residency at Red Gate Residency, Beijing
4) The last date for receipt of submissions is 7th August 2012. Applications received after this date will not be considered. The organizers shall not be liable for failure or delay in receipt of entries. The entries should be sent at:
Shrine Empire/ New Delhi
7, Friends Colony West
New Delhi 110048
Tel: 011 41327630, 9811659388, 9910444354
Fax: 011 26326930
HOW TO APPLY
The applicant should submit at least five samples of their writing published in print or net space.
A note on the applicant’s opinion on art writing (not less than five hundred words).
A projection of the applicant’s activities and possible interests to be pursued during the residency period.
RULES AND REGULATIONS
The following supporting material must accompany every application:
1 a) Proof of writer’s age and citizenship (attested photocopy of birth certificate, passport, or any valid government ID showing birth date and citizenship)
b) Writer’s bio-data
c) One color photo of the artist, 2 x 2 inches or larger
d) A CD containing the answers of the application questions (relevant documents) or printouts will need to be sent along with the application forms.
2) An acknowledgement of receipt of entry will be sent to the email address of the applicant.
3) The five-member jury will decide on the five finalists and subsequently decide who is the winning writer.
4) The short listed writers will be contacted individually by phone or email.
5) The winner’s name shall be published on the website within a week of announcing the Award.
6) There is no participation fee.
7) The majority decisions of the Judges, and of the Advisory Committee on the interpretation of all rules and regulations of the Prize, shall be final and legally binding. Reasons will not be given for any such decision and the jury and/or Advisory Committee will not enter into any correspondence regarding the merits of any decision.
8) At any time after an entry is accepted or after the Award has been granted to any entry, if a majority of Judges determine that the entry did not comply with the conditions of entry or eligibility, the award may be withdrawn from the writer.